Wednesday, May 4, 2011

More socializing, go me!

So today I realized that it's be over a week since the new 5 man instances were released in WoW and I still hadn't run them at all. Unacceptable! I queued up for a random zul instance (Zul'Gurub or Zul'Aman) and waited the 30 or so minutes it took to find the rest of the group.

When I first zoned in I wasn't sure if I was extremely lucky or unlucky. We were assigned Zul'Gurub and I was grouped up with 4 guild mates from another server. 3 of the guildies seemed nice enough but when I asked a simple question about fight mechanics, and no one had the answer, I told them I would look it up fast. One of the guildies said "or /camp" meaning I should just give up now. He immediately got a thumbsdown playerscore from me, lol. I decided I would hang in there anyway and try to be as knowledgeable as possible. I HAD read all of the fight mechanics when the zones came out, but that's a lot to read and remember without ever experiencing them. I try to think the best of people when I first meet them in a random group, but apparently this guy took the opposite approach.

The first boss was pretty challenging. Lots of poison everywhere, literally a poison maze with poison tendrils chasing you, and sometimes you'd get linked to another player and would have to run away from each other to break the chain. We wiped at least 7 times, but were getting close. On one of the later pulls we were SO CLOSE to winning, but the healer went down. I felt like I was going back to EQ2 times, since DKs now have a rez ability. I sacrificed myself and got the healer up, and we downed him! They all thanked me profusely, as some of them didn't even know about the DK change, and the mouthy guild member stopped ragging on me.

I had WoWhead up with all of the boss strategies, so I continued to tell them the strats for the next 3 bosses. We wiped at least once on all of them, but then got it down fairly quickly. One of the guild members had been there before and tried to give strats, but he was dps and didn't inform the tank or healer about any special spells or positioning, but between the two of us we were able to explain everything.

The second to last boss has a fairly simple strategy, but there is a lot of movement and reactionary things that need to happen. We just couldn't down him. We tried at least 20 times, and then tried to move on to the next boss but realized he wouldn't appear until this one was down. We took a 20 min break for food etc and came back to it again. Still no luck, so we ran around the instance and killed anything else we needed for a quest.

In the end we decided to call it, because we were only getting tired and frustrated. It's a shame because they turned out to be a really nice group of people, and I wish I could have finished it with them. I'm rarely social in a group, but in this situation I almost acted like the tank. He was a good tank, but he didn't want to strategize. Fortunately I was up for it, and it makes me think that maybe I will make a good tank someday. When we all decided to leave they said I should transfer servers and group with them more often, heh. I told them that if all of my friends magically stopped playing I'd consider it, and we wished each other good luck. So maybe it wasn't a technical success, but I had fun, and it was definitely worth the time invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment